The Dress Diary of a Centre Gathered Hemd


2004.07.02 More remodelling!

To try out my ideas I decided to remodel an old 13thC shift which I very seldom use anymore. It was a very simple t-tunic with side gores.

I just cut a deeper neckline and gathered about 20cm of fabric into approximately 8 cm in the centre front, small pleats which were sewn into place with back stitches. About 15 cm were gathered into 4 cm in the centre back.

I tried the hemd with several of my German type dresses, which all worked really well together.

Next stage in the tryouts for this hemd type is to make one in white linen. For this I think I want the sleeves wider and more pleats in the front, so it might be used as an every day hemd with deep cut swabian styles!


Myra ©2004